Our researchers share their findings across a variety of platforms - from traditional academic journals to online opinion pieces and public seminars.
Information on publications and other research outputs from researchers within the Centre can be found below, including links to published articles, opinion pieces, and seminar recordings.
Baker, E., Daniel, L., Beer, A., Bentley, R., Rowley, S., Baddeley, M., London, K., Stone, W., Nygaard, C., Hulse, K., Lockwood, A. (2022). An Australian rental housing conditions research infrastructure. Nature Scientific Data. doi:10.1038/s41597-022-01136-5.
Oswald, D., Moore, T., and Baker, E. (2022). Exploring the well-being of renters during the COVID-19 pandemic. International Journal of Housing Policy, 1-21. doi:10.1080/19491247.2022.2037177.
- Bentley, R., Baker, E., Martino, E., Li, Y., & Mason, K. (2021). Alcohol and tobacco consumption: What is the role of economic security?. Addiction, 10 pages. doi:10.1111/add.15400
- Baker, E., Pham, A., Leishman, C., Daniel, L., & Bentley, R. (2021). Urban social housing pathways: a linked administrative data analysis. Urban Policy and Research, 39(1), 1-15. doi:10.1080/08111146.2020.1838894
- Arakawa Martins, B., Barrie, H., Visvanathan, R., Daniel, L., Arakawa Martins, L., Ranasinghe, D., . . . Soebarto, V. (2021). A multidisciplinary exploratory approach for investigating the experience of older adults attending hospital services. Health Environments Research and Design Journal, 14(1), 141-163. doi:10.1177/1937586720920858
- Baker, E., Pham, N., Daniel, L., & Bentley, R. (2020). New evidence on mental health and housing affordability in cities: A quantile regression approach. Cities, 96. DOI:10.1016/j.cities.2019.102455
- Schweiker, M., et al (2020) Evaluating assumptions of scales for subjective assessment of thermal environments – Do laypersons perceive them the way, we researchers believe? Energy & Buildings 211: 109761, DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2020.109761
- 10.1007/s00127-019-01773-zDo financial hardship and social support mediate the effect of unaffordable housing on mental health?.
- Williamson, T., & Daniel, L. (2020). A new adaptive thermal comfort model for homes in temperate climates of Australia. Energy and Buildings, 210. 109728. DOI: 10.1016/j.enbuild.2019.109728
- Aitken, Z., Baker, E., Badland, H., Mason, K., Bentley, R., Beer, A., & Kavanagh, A. (2019). Precariously placed: housing affordability, quality and satisfaction of Australians with disabilities. Disability and Society, 34(1), 121-142. DOI: 10.1080/09687599.2018.1521333
- Baker, E., Lester, L., Beer, A., & Bentley, R. (2019). An Australian geography of unhealthy housing. Geographical Research, 57(1), 40-51. DOI: 10.1111/1745-5871.12326
- Baker, E., Pham, N. T. A., Daniel, L. R., & Bentley, R. (2019). How does household residential instability influence child health outcomes? A quantile analysis. The International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16(21), 4189. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16214189
- Beer, A., Baker, E., Lester, L., & Daniel, L. R. (2019). The Relative Risk of Homelessness among Persons with a Disability: New Methods and Policy Insights. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 16, 4304. DOI: 10.3390/ijerph16224304
- Bentley, R., Baker, E., & Aitken, Z. (2019). The ‘double precarity’ of employment insecurity and unaffordable housing and its impact on mental health. Social Science and Medicine, 225, 9-16. DOI: 10.1016/j.socscimed.2019.02.008
- Costello, G., Leishman, C., Rowley, S., Watkins, C. (2019) Drivers of spatial change in urban housing submarkets. Geographical Journal. DOI: 10.1111/geoj.12303
- Daniel, L. R., Baker, E., Beer, A., & Pham, N. T. (2019). Cold housing: evidence, risk and vulnerability. Housing Studies. DOI: 10.1080/02673037.2019.1686130
- Daniel, L., Baker, E., & Williamson, T. (2019). Cold housing in mild-climate countries: a study of indoor environmental quality and comfort preferences in homes, Adelaide, Australia. Building and Environment, 151, 207-218. DOI: 10.1016/j.buildenv.2019.01.037
- Gan, X., Zuo, J., Baker, E., Chang, R., & Wen, T. (2019). Exploring the determinants of residential satisfaction in public rental housing in China: a case study of Chongqing. Journal of Housing and the Built Environment, 34(3), 869-895. DOI: 10.1007/s10901-019-09691-x
- Kellett, J., & Nunnington, N. (2019). Infrastructure for new Australian housing: Who pays and how?. Cities, 92, 10-17. DOI: 10.1016/j.cities.2019.03.007
- Kellett, J., Barreto, R., Hengel, A., & Vogiatzis, N. (2019). How Might Autonomous Vehicles Impact the City? The Case of Commuting to Central Adelaide. Urban Policy and Research. 442-457. DOI: 10.1080/08111146.2019.1674646
- Shi, Y., Ge, X., Yuan, X., Wang, Q., Kellett, J., Li, F., & Ba, K. (2019). An integrated indicator system and evaluation model for regional sustainable development. Sustainability (Switzerland), 11(7). DOI: 10.3390/su11072183
- Singh, A., Aitken, Z., Baker, E., & Bentley, R. (2019). Do financial hardship and social support mediate the effect of unaffordable housing on mental health?. Social Psychiatry and Psychiatric Epidemiology, 1-9. DOI: 10.1007/s00127-019-01773-z
- Singh, A., Daniel, L., Baker, E., & Bentley, R. (2019). Housing disadvantage and poor mental health: a systematic review. American Journal of Preventive Medicine, 57(2), 262-272. DOI: 10.1016/j.amepre.2019.03.018
- Schweiker, M., et al. (2019). The Scales Project, a cross-national dataset on the interpretation of thermal perception scales. Scientific Data, 6(1), 10 pages. DOI: 10.1038/s41597-019-0272-6
- Tang, Y., Shi, Y., Li, Y., Yuan, X., Mu, R., Wang, Q., . . . Kellett, J. (2019). Environmental and economic impact assessment of the alumina–carbon refractory production in China. Clean Technologies and Environmental Policy. 21, 1723–1737. DOI: 10.1007/s10098-019-01741-w
- Baker, E., Bentley, R., Beer, A., & Daniel, L. (2020). Renting in the time of COVID-19: Understanding the impacts. AHURI Final Report, 340. DOI: 10.18408/ahuri3125401
- Baker, E., & Daniel, L. (Eds.) (2020). Rental Insights: A COVID-19 Collection, AHURI , Melbourne, 4 December, DOI: 10.18408/ahuri3125402.
- Daniel, L., Moore, T., Baker, E., Beer, A., Willand, N., Horne, R., & Hamilton, C. (2020). Warm, cool and energy-affordable housing policy solutions for low-income renters. AHURI Final Report, (338). DOI: 10.18408/ahuri-3122801
- Oswald, D., Moore, T., & Baker, E. (2020). Post pandemic landlord-renter relationships in Australia, AHURI Final Report No. 344, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Limited, Melbourne, 12 November, DOI: 10.18408/ahuri5325901
- Leishman, C., Baker, E. (2019) Audit of South Australia’s current housing assets and mapping of future demand, AHURI Research Paper, Australian Housing and Urban Research Institute Limited, Melbourne. Online Access.
- Baker, E. L., Kellett, J., & South Australian Planning Commission. (2019). People and Neighbourhoods Policy Discussion Paper. Online Access.
- Baker, E. L., Leishman, C., Kellett, J., & Daniel, L. (2019). People and Neighbourhoods - Background paper. Online Access.
Emma Baker on "The housing affordability jigsaw". The 7.30 Report. ABC. 22 November. Online access.
Rebecca Bentley, Alice, Kim Loo. "Why renting is a health risk". The Signal. ABC Radio. 12 October. Online access.
Emma Baker, Michael Fotheringham, Peter Koulizos. University of Adelaide Research Tuesdays Seminar: Well May We Dwell. 9 March. Online Access.
- Baker, E., Leishman, C., Bentley, R. (2020) The many faces of social housing - home to 1 in 10 Australians. The Conversation. 13 March. Online Access.
- Baker, E., Bentley, R. (2020) 4 ways to be a good landlord in a time of coronavirus. The Conversation. 14 April. Online Access.
- Baker, E., Oswald, D., Patterson Ross, L., (2020) AHURI Webinar: COVID-19 and Australian Renters. 27 November. Online Access.
- Daniel, L., (2020) AHURI Webinar: Energy-affordable housing policy solutions. 27 November. Online Access.
- Baker, E., Beer, A. (2019) Dangerous to human health: that’s a housing problem much bigger than a few high-profile apartment blocks. The Conversation. 22 July. Online Access.
- Leishman, C. (2019) Why falling house prices do less to improve affordability than you might think. The Conversation. 20 February. Online Access.
- Singh, A., Baker, E., Daniel, L, Bentley, R., (2019) Poor housing leaves its mark on our mental health for years to come. The Conversation. 29 July. Online Access.